• 8 Italian lady finger (savoiardi) biscuits
• 220 grams mascarpone cheese
• 1 cup pouring cream
• 1/2 cup icing sugar
• 2 table spoons coffee liqueur or sherry
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
• 1 cup strong black coffee, cooled
• 50 grams dark chocolate, finely grated
1. Line a shallow dish with the lady finger biscuits. In a jug, mix together the coffee, liqueur and half of the icing sugar. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Reserve one tablespoon of the mixture then pour over the biscuits and leave to soak.
2. In a mixing bowl, whip the cream until thick. Add in the mascarpone cheese, vanilla, the rest of the icing sugar and the reserve of coffee mixture.
3. In 4 individual serving cups place half of the soaked biscuits and press into the base of the cups. Spoon half the mascarpone mixture on top, followed by half the grated chocolate. Repeat to form the second layer. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours (ideally overnight) for the mascarpone cream to set. Remove from the refrigerator when ready to serve.